Move Better with Mark!
Side-to-Side Reaching is 1 of 9 exercises in Bodyweight Strength Training for Runners at Mark Lauren On Demand.
This is an exercise that involves rhythmic lateral weight shifting around a neutral spine which helps to improve your arm swing mechanics for running.
If you want to see this exercise used in our running workout sign up for Mark Lauren On Demand.
Step by step guide:
- Get into a crawling position
- With your wrists underneath your shoulders, and your knees underneath your hips
- Shift your hips back slightly
- We are going to shift rhythmically side to side leading with our hips
- And then at the same time reach in the direction that we are shifting
- You want to control your knees to make sure that they remain in contact with the ground
- Shift the hips as far as you can and reach as far as you can
- Coordinate your breathing and also control the position of your head and the position of your spine
- Shift and reach
- Challenge your range of motion
- And try to apply some rhythm and coordinate your breathing.